Friday, January 30, 2015

THE GATE



I stood still,
Wondering what life held for me beyond this point
My instinct was silent...
It held me no lamp to see the future

The only feeling I felt was my pounding heart
And my adventurous gut
I knew that Edikangikong  was a bad idea
But how was I to resist the last of my Granny's cooking

I stood still,
At this mighty gate that stood between my past and future
What does the future hold...
Silence... suddenly broken by a ray of light almost blinding
Stood before I was the seeming resemblance of a contemporary angel in shorts and T-shirt
No wings... no sword... but so majestic
The entrance of... heaven...
While I flourished in fantasy
The most annoying voice interrupted me

"Nna watin you dey find for here nah?"
"Where did my angel go?"
Here he stood before me, transformed into a man
Shorter now that I went closer
He smelled funny too
Labour and stupidity seemed to have found an abode
The matching ordour is unmistakable
"You nor dey hear English... I say watin you dey findi..."
This was no angel at all

"Is this No, 17 Olatunji Aja Crescent...?
I am Tony... The new cook... Is your master in..."
"Ahhh... The cook! Calabar man..."
His joy was unmasked... a silly smile replace that hostility...
"Master dey wait you long time...
Boss Boss... make I carry your bag...
My mother Papa wife first son seff from that una axis seff...
the Bros dey arrange kitchen matter like say him be..."
and he went on and on,,, and on...

I crossed the gate
Crossed the light into a new future
What does this day hold for me
Again this man interrupted my thoughts
"Bros me dey chop traditionally well wella...
No forget to touch light me when you begin dey settle kitchen matters o"
And with a hearty and sincere laugh he returned to the gates
© Kyng David. All rights reserved , 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...